How are you faring at finding joy in your life? I’m not talking about the joy of buying a new car, looking forward to a great vacation, or even the joy of a good cup of coffee (although these all bring joyful moments into our lives), but the deep down joy that seats itself in your soul and would take a momentous event to shake it loose. Is it there?
This is the constant journey of the Christian, to find joy amidst difficult circumstances, to remain steady with a joyful heart when the world shakes us up and spits us out. The verse above says that having joy in the Lord gives us the strength we need to remain upright when all around us attemps to push us over.
Here are twelve thoughts on joy from John Piper. I just wonder if we truly applied these to our lives, would we be transformed?
How Shall We Fight for Joy?
1. Realize that authentic joy in God is a gift.
2. Realize that joy must be fought for relentlessly.
3. Resolve to attack all known sin in your life.
4. Realize that the battle is primarily a fight to see God for who he is.
5. Meditate on the Word of God day and night.
6. Pray earnestly and continually for open heart-eyes and an inclination for God.
7. Learn to preach to yourself rather than listen to yourself.
8. Spend time with God-saturated people who help you see God and fight the fight.
9. Be patient in the night of God’s seeming absence.
10. Get the rest, exercise, and proper diet that your body was designed by God to have.
11. Do the hard and loving thing for the sake of others.
12. Get a global vision for the cause of Christ and pour yourself out for the unreached