Written By Jen
This is one of our family favorites. I think this tastes fresh and lighter than a traditional pot pie. The flavor is really amazing. I gave one to a friend and she loved it. She called and requested the recipe. I have made this several times, so I have adapted it to suit my family. The original recipe is from Ina Garten. Here is the link to her original recipe. Lobster Pot Pie on the Food Network
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
- 3/4 cup chopped fennel (1 fennel bulb)
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 3/4 pound cooked fresh lobster meat (This time I ended up buying Lobster tails and boiling them and taking the meat out and cutting it into small pieces.)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (not “baby” peas)
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 5 carrots, peeled, chopped and cooked (boil them in water until soft)
- 8 golden potatoes peeled, cut into bites size piece and boiled (Make sure you don’t over cook them. You don’t want mashed potatoes, just tender yet still keeping their shape and firmness. They will continue to cook in the pie.)
I buy pre-made crusts. I usually get a pack of two frozen pie crusts for the bottom of the pie and one package of two refrigerated roll out crusts for the top of the pie. (This time I had enough to make 2 very full pies.)
Cut the lobster meat into medium-sized cubes. Place the lobster, frozen peas, cooked carrots, diced cooked potatoes, and parsley in a bowl (there is no need to defrost the vegetables). Pour the sauce over the mixture and check the seasonings. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Use frozen crust in pie pan and, fill with the lobster mixture, and top with the second roll out crust. Crimp the crusts together. Make 4 or 5 slashes in the top crust. Repeat for second pie. Cover second pie with plastic wrap and foil and freeze or give it to a friend. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot.